Saturday, December 27, 2008

Worthy or Not: My Opinion on our SAD Proposal

Currently, our proposed/approved system is a Research and Extension MIS. It was given to us by our previous instructor in this subject. When we asked our previous instructor about what system we should propose, she said that we should propose a networked system that will enable the two offices (Research Division and Extension Division) to share files. We went to there to ask permission and I saw that they really needed a networked system because they are two separate offices. Also, I have read in their VMGO and background that they perform almost closely-related functions. That's why we went on with this.

Currently, our proposed/approved system is a Research and Extension MIS. It was given to us by our previous instructor in this subject. When we asked our previous instructor about what system we should propose, she said that we should propose a networked system that will enable the two offices (Research Division and Extension Division) to share files. We went to there to ask permission and I saw that they really needed a networked system because they are two separate offices. Also, I have read in their VMGO and background that they perform almost closely-related functions. That's why we went on with this.

But, just recently, RSG challenged our proposed system. Is it really worth all the trouble? Honestly, the part that I found challenging in our proposed system is the networking part. We don't have enough experience to do it, if ever we are going to implement the system we will make in the two offices. True, we have a Computer Networking subject but all we did was to connect two computers. That's not much of an experience.

When I think about it, I can't help but wonder if we have chosen a good system to develop. If I can choose, I want to study and develop a system that's innovative, challenging and significant. The major thing that discouraged me with our chosen system is the existing system in the Extension Division. It was someone else's territory first. Somehow, I found that inconvenient because that would involve probably building our system on top of the old one. I'd rather start from scratch, really.

Right now, I could say that I am not satisfied with our proposed system. I don't see it having a significant and innovative impact anywhere. As RSG said, our proposed systems are very simple and probably not worth all the things that I learned, if any Laughing , in my three years in the university and I agree with him. However, as much as I want to look for a bigger, more ambitious project, time just isn't on our side as we only have three months tops to come up with a project that is worth our- and their- while.

Although... RSG proposed that we make our systems web-ready. I personally think that it's a great idea and it would probably bring up the "level" of our proposal. If I were to apply the web-ready idea to our proposed system, I think it would be better because we are studying the RESEARCH and EXTENSION division, after all.

BELATED MERRY CHRISTMAS and ADVANCE HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

2 comments:

  1. it is also challenging for me because there are a lot of features that we still don't know how to code yet and it would be interesting to learn all of it but i think finding another system to do will also be a good option.. we just need t focus people hahah happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. @hannah

    i do want to learn how to code or implement different system features. i agree that it's interesting. after all, we are supposed to be "responsible IT Professionals"...

    hehehe.

    ReplyDelete