Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Interview with a Japanese IT Company

Yesterday, I, and 6 other people, were interviewed for a position by a Japanese IT Company. It was a first for me so I was expecting a very rigid and tense interview, especially that the interviewers were composed of two Japanese and a Filipino who acts as the translator.

The position I was applying for was as a "Business Programmer". If hired, the contract is three (3) years training in Japan with a monthly salary of ###,### Yen. The company will shoulder the plane fare going to Japan and will provide the house (but if you have a relative or someone you know who lives near the company, then I think it would be better to stay with them). Of course, all taxes and utility expenses will be deducted from your monthly salary, which will be given only once a month - unlike in the Philippines where salary is given every fifteen (15) days.

The interview immediately followed an Aptitude test. For the interview, there really were NO questions about our skills or what we can bring to the company. I think they don't question that anymore because we are PhilNITS passers and that's enough proof of our IT skills. The interviewers, the Japanese in particular, were more concerned over how sure we were about accepting the job if they decide to hire us. It was like this because we're talking about working three years in Japan and having only two (2) chances to go home during that time. Filipinos are known for their close family ties and they do not want that to be the reason for us quitting or suddenly going home for just a small quirk in the family. I guess they've had such experiences before with the other Filipino employees.

The interview also made me realize something important - that the Japanese have an entirely different culture from ours. The way they behaved during the interview alone tells a lot about their reserved culture:
  1. For one, if you think that you should maintain eye to eye contact during an interview, with them it's more like they try to break eye contact the moment you look at them. I noticed this when I was answering their questions. However hard I try to meet their eyes, they always look away or down.
  2. They also speak very quietly or use low voices. I don't know if that's because of their language or really their culture but it was something that was new to me.
  3. I could also say that they are workaholics (in a positive way) because they never stopped conducting the interview until they finished interviewing all of us. They did not even stop for lunch and it's something that I really admired.
  4. All throughout, their questions were more focused on getting to know you and how sure you are about accepting the offer if they hired you.
Overall, the interview wasn't as nerve-wracking as I thought, although they did ask the most unexpected questions. They even asked one of us if she knew about Tokyo Disneyland! Haha. I know that not all Japanese interviewers will be like them. I really do think that they would really try to question your abilities and your worth to the companies because they have very high standards. For us, we were lucky because we have something that they are looking for - an IT certification.

For now, I can only hope and pray that all of us will be hired. I know that we did our best during the interview and all we can do now is wait for their decision. :-D

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations... Balik jud pinas ha after nmo didto... Our IT industry needs someone like you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nyaks! thanks, te. hehehe. but we aren't hired yet. end of july pa daw mahibalan ang tanan. heheh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kaya na kate..ahehehe gusto ko mosunod...huhuhuhu T____T

    ReplyDelete
  4. @jonel: soon, nel. :-) should you pass the exam, i think you won't have a problem with your DOST scholarship anymore because i heard they will pay for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi my friends......iam just now completed my MSC IN COMPUTER SCIENCE in london university...i would like to do phd in operating systems or programming languages....can u give some best tobics in computer science and some advices to me....i dont know any thing just now i completed my msc...but if u give some ideas i can do......................my NAME:n v poori;MY ID:vikram.nandu143@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi my friends......iam just now completed my MSC IN COMPUTER SCIENCE in london university...i would like to do phd in operating systems or programming languages....can u give some best tobics in computer science and some advices to me....i dont know any thing just now i completed my msc...but if u give some ideas i can do......................my NAME:n v poori;MY ID:vikram.nandu143@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working with the IT companies in Japan is really a big opportunity. Besides, Japan is the most industrialized country.

    Your experience is really interesting and very encouraging. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete