Wednesday, February 22, 2012

DHL - International Shipping in 5 to 7 Days

Today, I just received the package sent by my family from the Philippines! They sent it Thursday last week (Feb. 16) through DHL Philippines and it was delivered to my apartment here in Hiroshima, Japan yesterday (Feb. 21). I wasn't home when the package was delivered yesterday so I had it delivered today. DHL wasn't lying when they said I would receive the package within 5 to 7 days. And yes, the package arrived in VERY good condition. This was my first time having something sent from the Philippines to Japan. I had my family buy the stuff in the Philippines and send it as a package to me.

Originally, I had planned on having it sent via the Philippine Post Office because that was the only way I knew. LBC is also there but I heard from my mom that it is quite expensive and there are lot of restrictions on the items that you can send.

I had a lot of considerations before I decided to try it. First of all, I was going to have food items sent to me - if the package was sent through the post office, I heard it would take around 20 days to be delivered, so I was worried that the food might spoil. Second, since it is food we're talking about, I was worried about the handling of the package. I wouldn't want to receive crushed Graham crackers when I was expecting whole biscuits, would I? Another thing was the restriction in the number of items that can be sent. While I definitely have NO intention of selling goods here in Japan, I wanted my family to send me several packages of each food item (I'm stocking up, you know) and I heard from my mom that the post office is quite strict about the items and the quantity you are sending. Finally, I have read and heard many horror stories about items being stolen from packages when they undergo Customs inspection. Even worse, it seems there are many packages that never get to their destination at all.

But you see, even with all the apprehensions I have about sending through PhilPost, I was actually willing to take the risk. Yes, I was that desperate.

Now, my package did not contain anything of real value but I am just glad that my mom found out about DHL. It is faster AND SAFER than sending via the post office (I think). It is cheaper, too, relatively, I guess. My package weighed around 9.5 kilograms and my mom paid less than Php4,000. I forgot the exact figure but the rate for a 10-kilogram package will not exceed Php5,000. And I think that's cheap, considering that the delivery took only 5 working days (7 if you count the weekends). They also have a very convenient and accurate online tracking system for you to track where your package is!

So, because I am extremely satisfied about how the whole "padala" thing turned out, I definitely will not hesitate anymore if I needed to have something sent to me. Thank you, DHL! You have my trust. For more information about DHL and their services, just visit their website.


Other sites:

And in case you're wondering why I had food sent to me, well, they're to satisfy my cravings! Haha.

Disclaimer:

13 comments:

  1. wow..nice to hear that, i'll consider DHL in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, did they just say that the contents were non-food "gifts"? We want to ship some goodies (American food actually, we're visiting the Philippines) to a friend in Singapore, but supposedly DHL and other carriers officially prohibit food. Did your family do it on the down-low?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is okay, as far as I know. You just have to declare everything you put in the box.

      Delete
  3. how can i Ship an Item from Philippines To US?? & How can i calculate my shipping fee?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LBC is better than DHL I think, based on forums that I read as their feedback they always hate the DHL due to their double fees. What I mean is, the fees are must shoulder only by the sender, but in DHL sender must pay for shipping fee and the receiver must pay also on custom tax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said: "And in case you're wondering why I had food sent to me, well, they're to satisfy my cravings! Haha." I thought DHL cannot ship food items after the passing of the Bioterrorism Act of 2002: http://us.dhlglobalmail.com/FDA-requirements.aspx. And this law should also be in effect for all other couriers such as FedEx and UPS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I checked the link you provided and from my understanding, you can still ship food as long as you follow the FDA requirements, one of which is to CLEARLY DECLARE every item that you ship (as stated in the last 2 paragraphs on the page).

      Delete
  6. Wow, thanks for telling us your experience about DHL. Because of this, I'll be trying DHL too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, were the food that you received are home-cooked meals? I'm wondering if we have that kind of service like in Myanmar, where they send home-cooked meals from Myanmar to Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for reading my blog. About your question, no, I had snacks, some dry packaged food sent to me. I believe they don't allow sending of homecooked meals or anything that spoils easily.

      Delete
  8. The document need to the embassy passed by dhl express in panama city ,and f
    or home delivery ,,I'm ask if by lbc branc near In my place deliver to my house the document,,and by the one letter is wrong to my address is no so much trouble and my documents deliver to my house

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sanielyn GaringanMay 21, 2017 at 10:51 PM

    Hello I would like to send my baked butterscotch for my friend's birthday in japan. is it possible?

    ReplyDelete